IPOH: A total of 10 food poisoning cases involving schools across Perak were recorded so far this month, according to the State Health Director Dr Juita Ghazalie.
She said five of those cases were reported from Aug 7 to 13, while the other five were recorded from Aug 14 to 20 with the latest incident being at the Malay College Kuala Kangsar (MCKK).
In total, there were 42 episodes of food poisoning involving 1,119 reported cases in Perak from Jan 1 until Aug 20.
“Out of these cases, a total of 30 episodes of food poisoning involved schools with 795 cases,” she said in a statement here last night.
Dr Juita said most suffering from food poisoning symptoms did not seek medical treatment because the cases were usually mild and the patients felt they could heal naturally.
“Patients who seek treatment are often treated as outpatients and only a few need to be hospitalised for further treatment,” she said
Dr Juita said food poisoning from canteens and hostel kitchens could be avoided if food suppliers followed the safety guidelines.
“For students and school staff it would be best practice to see, smell and taste the items before eating or drinking, which could prevent them from eating stale or spoiled food,” she said.
Dr Juita added the owners of the canteen and kitchen hostels could be given compounded fines under the Food Hygiene Regulations 2009 if they failed to follow food hygiene and safety guidelines.