Undersea tunnel builder to purge BUCG after crane incident

guan-engGEORGE TOWN: A construction company whose crane fell and killed a woman has withdrawn from the Penang Undersea Tunnel and main roads project, Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng revealed today.

He said BUCG (M) Sdn Bhd had applied to have itself removed as one of three partners in the larger Consortium Zenith-BUCG Sdn Bhd.

Currently, the consortium consists of the China Railway Construction Corporation Limited (CRCC), as the main contractor, Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd and BUCG. It was learnt that BUCG held the smallest share in the consortium.

It was previously reported that the consortium’s shareholders were now Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd with 99.13% equity, Juteras Sdn Bhd (0.863%) and Beijing Urban Construction Group Co Ltd (0.0057%).

Lim also said the company would have its name changed to remove the “BUCG” name from the consortium.

“Despite these changes, the project is not affected in any way. Even with the name changed, there will be no problems.

“As I have said before, we do not want an irresponsible contractor to be part of the undersea tunnel project. So we will allow BUCG to opt out from the consortium,” he said at a press conference in Komtar today.

On Aug 25, Chin Khoon Sing, who is from Noordin Street in George Town, died on the spot after a one-tonne crane hook fell on her Perodua Kelisa in Jalan Raja Chulan in Kuala Lumpur.

The hook fell from a 20-storey hotel under construction next to a shopping complex there.

A letter by Consortium Zenith-BUCG, made available to the press, requested for permission to have BUCG opt out from the mega project.

The Sept 1 letter, written by the consortium’s chairman, Zarul Ahmad Mohd Zulkifli, stated it was in the company’s best interests and reputation to have BUCG removed due to the crane incident.

“We have submitted a few alternate names to the Companies Commission to rename ourselves, to the effect of having BUCG out of the picture,” Zarul said in the letter to the State Secretary’s office.

In 2013, the consortium won an open tender to build an undersea tunnel connecting George Town on the island and Butterworth on the mainland as well as three other main roads under a project worth RM6.3 billion.

Related story:

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2016/08/30/lge-issues-stern-warning-to-contractor-in-crane-crash/