PETALING JAYA: Bersih 5 will be held on November 19 to once again demand for institutional reforms in the country.
Rally organisers Bersih 2.0 will also seek the removal of Prime Minister Najib Razak from office.
“So getting rid of Najib is one of our demands, but at the end of the day we are saying that you can bring in many leaders but if they do not support the reform agenda they will not be our leaders,” Bersih 2.0’s chairperson Maria Chin Abdullah said in a press conference at Crystal Crown Hotel, here.
Also present was activist Hishammuddin Rais, Human Rights Society chairperson Ambiga Sreenevasan, and #TangkapMO1 spokesperson Anis Syafiqah Md Yusof, among others.
Chin also revealed that a rally would be preceded by a nation wide convoy by the electoral reform group set to kick-off on October 1.
The convoy, she said, would help explain to the people why it was important to continue fighting for change, which she said could not come fast enough.
Chin had previously said that the rally was mainly to pressure for greater accountability and action to be taken against Malaysian Official 1 (MO1) following a lawsuit by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) in July against individuals related to 1Malaysia Development Berhad.
She believed protesting was no longer an option, but a necessity, as the rakyat had to make a strong stand against what she saw as “grand corruption and a betrayal of trust.”
The upcoming rally would also be a litmus test of sorts for the electoral watchdog after the previous rally made headlines for attracting a predominantly Chinese crowd which subsequently turned into a racial issue.
Last year’s rally also led to a racially-tinged counter-rally organised by the Red Shirts shortly after.
The DoJ’s lawsuits claimed that over USD3.5 billion was misappropriated from 1MDB. It also specifically named Riza Aziz, who is Prime Minister Najib Razak’s stepson, Low Taek Jho (better known as Jho Low), and Abu Dhabi government officials Khadem al-Qubaisi and Mohamed Ahmed Badawy Al-Husseiny.