‘Report that milk caused gangrene in leg unfounded’

hisham-Saziila-Anuar-1

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Medical Association (MMA) says there is a possibility that a 12-year-old girl who suffered health complications after consuming milk at school might have suffered from a condition called septicaemia shock which could have resulted in gangrene.

When contacted by Bernama, MMA President Dr John Chew, via a text message, said: “The girl could have suffered septicaemic shock, causing low blood pressure which could have resulted in limb gangrene.”

Amputation was the only way to save her life, stated the doctor when asked if there were other alternatives to her recovery instead of amputating her foot.

According to a medical journal, septicaemic shock is the result of an infection which could cause a drastic change in the body that is dangerous and potentially life-threatening.

A report stated that the Year Six pupil, Saziila Anuar, from Segamat, had consumed milk provided by her school, which resulted in her being admitted to hospital on July 27 for health complications.

She fell into a coma while receiving treatment. Saziila’s left foot turned black due to gangrene infection and her parents were advised to amputate her leg.

Meanwhile, Health Director-General Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah, in response, clarified that the girl was already infected by bacteria long before she was admitted to hospital and not due to the milk consumed at her school.

“Reports suggesting that the patient had received wrong medication and consumed the milk which resulted in her developing gangrene are unfounded,” he said via a text message.

A private clinic practitioner, who wished to remain anonymous, said it was unusual for a person to have gangrene due to milk consumption.

“It is not possible for the girl to develop gangrene from milk consumption.

There could have possibly been an injury to the foot, resulting in gangrene or some other complications,” the doctor said.