Selangor police will uphold people’s right to protest

Mohd-Fuad-Abdul-Latiff_ersih_6001

PETALING JAYA: Selangor police have given a reminder that the people are free to organise or join demonstrations under the law, but action would be taken against those causing chaos.

Selangor deputy police chief Mohd Fuad Abdul Latiff said today that Bersih convoy organisers had given notice to the police about their plans.

“If any party wants to organise a programme and abide by the law, of course we won’t stop them. But we won’t hesitate to take action against those defying the law and causing chaos,” he said. “This includes both organisers or outsiders. It doesn’t matter who you are.”

Fuad rejected allegations that the police had been negligent, after sporadic scuffles at Bersih convoys in Selangor towns this month.

“Safety is our priority,” he said, according to The Star Online. “Sometimes while keeping the peace and ensuring safety, we are outnumbered by demonstrators.”

He pointed out that police had taken action against unruly protesters in Teluk Intan, Sabak Bernam and Kuala Selangor.

There has been confrontations between Bersih and pro-Umno Red Shirts demonstrators at the weekend convoys, which are to publicise a street rally on Nov 19 in Kuala Lumpur.

Last week, three journalists reported that they had been manhandled and forced to delete photographs and video footage of the rival protests.