GEORGE TOWN: The health ministry will provide the best treatment possible to those who sustained burns in a balloon explosion at its event in Terengganu yesterday.
Expressing sadness over the incident, the minister, Dr S.Subramaniam said: One thing that is sad is that the programme was organised by the ministry, in conjunction with World Sight Day.
“The balloons were filled with helium gas. I was told there is a possibility someone had used a cigarette lighter to release the tethered balloons which in turn, caused the explosion.”
He said this at a press conference at the Penang MIC headquarters here today.
The 11.30am incident occurred at Dataran Batu Burok in Terengganu during the ‘Walk for the Blind’ event.
Seven of the victims were warded at the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital while the rest were given outpatient treatment.
The 31 victims sustained between two and 19 per cent burns on the face, neck and hands.
Dr Subramaniam said he would hold discussions with the relevant agencies in relation to the use of balloons at any event.