KUALA LUMPUR: The Department of Environment has not found any elements of sabotage in its preliminary investigations into the case of contamination of Sungai Semenyih, says Natural Resources and Environment Minister Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar.
“So far, in our investigations we have not found anything, nevertheless, were are not dismissing any possibilities,” he told reporters at Parliament lobby today.
Selangor Menteri Besar Mohamed Azmin Ali on Sunday alleged that the contamination of Sungai Semenyih was an act of sabotage believed to be the work of Barisan Nasional and Umno in an attempt to weaken the state government, now that the general election was nearing.
Azmin said Lembaga Urus Air Selangor had lodged a police report so an investigation could commence into the matter.
Meanwhile Wan Junaidi said his ministry viewed Azmin’s accusations seriously and hoped the Selangor government would furnish concrete proof to the authorities.
He said anyone found sabotaging water catchment areas would face action under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) 2015 and Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012.
“Sabotage is a serious matter and emergency measures can be taken against the perpetrators because this involves more than two million water consumers,” he said.
He also said that he hoped the issue of the river’s contamination would not be politicised because people could not live without water resources.