S’wak cops seek four men for fatal incident

dev kumarKUCHING: Sarawak police are seeking the assistance of four men in relation to a shooting incident on Monday at a blockade in Ulu Sungai Arip, Balingian, Mukah. The public is urged to report the whereabouts of the wanted persons.

Police have given details of the four men as follows: Luis Lawrence, 46, of Desa Pujut 2, Permyjaya, Miri; Gleneker Julin, 25, of Jalan Lang 1, Lutong, Miri; Jeefarygeess Roseph, 35, of Jalan Riam, Miri; and Freddy Merungei, 30, of Jalan Keladi Teku, Sibu.

The four men, according to police, confronted villagers at the blockade resulting in one fatality.

Police already have eight suspects under remand for seven days until November 2, under section 302 of the Penal Code, according to a statement by Sarawak CID Chief Dev Kumar in The Borneo Post.

Kumar revealed that five villagers were among the eight suspects. “Another three suspects were known to the deceased,” he said.

He added the three acquaintances, aged 27 to 38, were arrested at Mukah district police headquarters on the day of the fatal shooting.

“They reported coming under fire in Sungaj Arip on the day of the incident,” said Kumar. “They wanted to lodge a police report blaming the villagers in the area.”

Kumar added that police inspected a Toyota Hilux used by the trio. The windscreen was shattered and there were several gunshot marks on the body of the vehicle.

The five villagers, aged between 18 and 65 years, were arrested after police from Mukah carried out an investigation in Sungai Arip on Tuesday to identify the people present at the blockade when there was the fatality.

Among the five held, three were longhouse chiefs.

“The police team seized two shotguns and several shotgun cartridges,” said Kumar. “Several other items, related to the case, were taken as well.”

Briefly, initial police investigations established that outsiders turned up in several vehicles at the blockade at about 5.30pm on Monday.

There were no independent witnesses.

Police are still working to establish the people at the blockade on Monday, and the relationship between a plantation company and the outsiders who turned up.

It is known that a villager discharged a shotgun. One person, a 26-year-old, was hit.

“The outsiders immediately fled the scene,” continued Kumar in the statement. “They left behind the deceased as well as a van.”

There were several machetes in the vehicle.

Police, who recovered two spent cartridges from the area, found the deceased sprawled on the ground with gunshot injuries and slash wounds. He was holding a machete.

The blockade, set up earlier this month by the villagers, has prevented the plantation company’s vehicles entering the area via a road which sits on NCR land.