PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia is expected to be categorised as an ageing nation in 2020, when people aged 65 and above will comprise 7.2 per cent of the population.
The Statistics Department, in a revised Projected Population Report, says Malaysia’s population is projected to rise to 41.5 million by 2040, up from 28.6 million in 2010.
However, it said the annual growth rate saw a downward trend from 1.8 per cent in 2010, to 0.8 per cent in 2040.
“The average annual population growth rate sees a decrease of 0.05 per cent per year,” it added.
The department said the Bumiputera population had the highest projected percentage increase of 4.8 per cent, rising from 67.3 per cent of the total population in 2010 to 72.1 per cent in 2040.
The sex ratio would increase to 108 males for every 100 females in 2020, and remain unchanged until 2040.
It added the population could also be categorised into three main age groups, namely the young (0-14 years), working population (15-64 years) and senior citizens (65 and over).
“The median age in 2010 was 26.3 years, and it will increase to 38.3 years (2040),” it said.