Teen suffers burns, blisters from Dragon Breath cookies

Dragon-BreathPETALING JAYA: A trend that is fast catching on among excited customers who want to experience exhaling smoke from their noses and mouths, has turned out to be more harmful than fun, for some at least.

A teenager from Alor Star was left with painful burns and blisters on his palm after coming into direct contact with the liquid nitrogen used on Dragon Breath cookies.

According to a report in the New Straits Times, 15-year-old Mohd Aiman Mohd Ridwan, paid the price of satisfying his curiosity on Friday when a batch of Dragon Breath cookies he bought at a night market burned his skin after he emptied a few into his palm along with some drops of liquid nitrogen.

Describing the burning sensation he experienced as boiling water on his palm, Aiman applied some ointment on the area quickly, only to wake up the next morning to ugly blisters on his swollen palm, the English daily reported.

“My family and I stopped at the stall as we were interested in the way the cookies were being prepared. It was fascinating to see the patrons exhaling smoke from their nose and mouth after eating the cookies.

“My parents and siblings did feel a slight pain on their tongue after eating the cookies, which I believed was caused by the nitrogen, but none of them suffered burnt injuries like I did,” he said when met yesterday by NST.

His mother, Nordiana Yaakob, 45, said her son lodged a report with the Consumers Association of Kedah (Cake) so that others, especially children would be warned about the possible dangers of the Dragon Breath cookies.

Cake secretary Mohd Yusrizal Yusoff said the association has received five complaints so far and had forwarded the cases to the Kedah Health Department for further investigations.

He also advised those who experienced health problems from eating the cookies to seek immediate medical attention and lodge a complaint with Cake.

“Initial investigations have shown that the liquid nitrogen used to prepare the cookies is not suitable for consumption as it could cause side effects,” he said.