PASIR MAS: Schools that had to close due to the flood situation in the state need not replace the lost days, says Education Minister Mahdzir Khalid.
“So far a total of 72 schools in Kelantan and Terengganu had to stay shut due to the flood disaster,” he told reporters after visiting flood victims sheltered at Sekolah Kebangsaan Kedai Tanjong here today.
Mahdzir said 38 of the schools were being used as temporary flood relief centres to accommodate flood victims.
“It is estimated that some 15,000 students in Kelantan and Terengganu were affected in the flood disaster in the east coast since Sunday (Jan 1),” he said.
The new school term for Kelantan and Terengganu began on Jan 1 as New Year’s Day was not a public holiday in the two states.
Mahdzir added that with the improving weather, it was likely that the schools that had to close could reopen next week after the floodwaters subsided.
When asked about the damage suffered by the schools concerned, Mahdzir said the two state education departments must file damage assessment reports without delay so that repair work and replacement of facilities such as desks and chairs as well as other equipment could be expedited.
“My ministry will provide fast-tracked allocations for this purpose,” he said.