KUALA LUMPUR: Eighteen families were left homeless when a fire destroyed three houses in Jalan 7, Kampung Pandan here early today.
The 2am blaze, which spread quickly due to strong winds, struck the wooden and brick houses, which had been rented out to about 60 people after renovation.
One of the victims, Ening Hassan, 61, said the fire occurred when she and her husband were fast asleep. They were awoken by the screams of neighbours.
“I was shocked upon hearing the screams and rushed out (of the house) to see the fire spreading fast.
“Nothing could be salvaged…everything was destroyed,” she told Bernama when met here today.
According to Ening, the three units fitted with 10 doors, had been renovated and rented out to 60 foreigners, which included six infants and four children.
Meanwhile, Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department Operations Centre chief Samsol Maarif Saibani said the fire was put out in an hour.