KUALA LUMPUR: The police will “stay close” to convicted rapist Selva Kumar Subbiah, 56, and monitor his movements when he returns to Malaysia, vowed Deputy Inspector General of Police, Noor Rashid Ibrahim.
Selva Kumar, dubbed “Canada’s worst rapist” will return to Malaysia this weekend after spending 24 years in jail in Canada. He moved to Canada in 1980.
News of his return has not gone down well with many social media users and has reignited calls for a sex offender registry.
But at a press conference in the city today, Noor Rashid urged the public not to be worried.
“We will meet with Selva Kumar and try to learn his background from Canadian police. We want to know where he will stay so that it is easy for us to monitor him.
“We understand the concerns of the public. If there are elements of a threat, we will take action.”
Noor Rashid said police have yet to receive detailed information from Canadian police on Selva Kumar’s return.
“We will know before he arrives.”
Selva Kumar is expected to return on Sunday, accompanied by three Canadian Border Services Agency guards.
Elaborating further, Noor Rashid said police will take several security measures for Selva Kumar’s return.
“We will interview Selva Kumar. We want to know what he plans to do. At the same time because we cannot monitor him 24 hours a day, we hope the public will help us.
“We want the public to reach out to us if his actions raise suspicions. He has a right to a normal life and the public also have a right to a peaceful life. The police will ensure the rights of all are looked after.”
In 1992, Selva Kumar was found guilty of 19 counts of sexual assault, 28 counts of administering a drug or noxious substance, 10 counts of various kinds of assault and a dozen other charges, including extortion.
During a parole board meeting last week, Selva Kumar said he had a “structured release plan” for his freedom in Malaysia as well as “strong family support”.