KUALA LUMPUR: The Ministry of Youth and Sports (KBS) has once again claimed that a news report yesterday that the tender for the supply of gymnastics equipment for the 2017 SEA Games is flawed, is inaccurate.
The ministry’s secretary-general Lokman Hakim Ali in a statement today said parties with any doubt about the tender process could refer to the authorities so action could be taken.
According to the statement the main contractor of the KL Sports City project, Rukun Juang Sendirian Berhad (RJSB), managed the tender for the supply of sports equipment at venues, including gymnastics equipment.
The KBS statement said RJSB managed the tender for supply of equipment on Nov 11 last year and the company on top of the shortlist was identified.
However, on Jan 6, before the tender was awarded to any company, KBS was told by RJSB that the company on top of the shortlist had a conflict of interest and proposed that the tender be cancelled and a new tender for the supply of gymnastics equipment be held once again.
The statement said the ministry agreed to the proposal as the cancellation of the tender and the proposal for a new one had the potential to save significant project cost and benefit the government.
“KBS has also decided that the tender for the supply of all sports equipment to KL Sports City be managed by the Malaysia Stadium Corporation (PSM) as the venue owner,” he said in the statement.
This means that the tender for supply of gymnastics equipment will also be managed by PSM but the tender process has not been opened yet, he said.