KUALA LUMPUR: Human rights activist Lena Hendry was found guilty by the Magistrates’ Court today of screening an uncensored documentary on the Sri Lankan war.
Magistrate Mohd Rehan Mohd Aris ruled that the defence had failed to cast reasonable doubt on the prosecution’s case.
The court deferred Lena’s sentencing to March 22.
Rehan ordered deputy public prosecutor Nurakmal Farhan Aziz and Lena’s lawyer New Sin Yew to file their submissions on mitigation for sentencing before March 1.
Lena is facing a possible three-year prison sentence or a maximum fine of RM50,000 or both.
She was acquitted by the same magistrate in March last year at the end of the prosecution’s case.
However, the High Court overturned the acquittal and ordered Lena, the programme coordinator at Pusat Komas to enter her defence on the charge under Section 6(1)(b) of the Film Censorship Act.
She was charged with screening “No Fire Zone: The Killing Fields of Sri Lanka”, a documentary on the Sri Lankan civil war that lasted for 26 years.
Lena was said to have committed the offence at the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Chamber of Commerce Hall here on July 3, 2013.
Speaking to reporters outside the court, Lena said she would appeal against the conviction.