Socso fines 500 employers for failing to register workers

Mohammed-Azman_perkeso_60

KUALA LUMPUR: The Social Security Organisation (Socso) has issued compounds totalling more than RM300,000 to employers who failed to register workers.

Socso chief executive officer Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammed said it involved 500 employers who had failed to register their workers during the prescribed amnesty period throughout March.

“Socso had given prior notice about the one-month amnesty period from March 1-31 to enable employers and workers to register with Socso,” he told reporters here yesterday.

According to him, in “Ops Kesan” effective April 1, Socso had inspected 1,961 employers nationwide.

Azman said from June 1 last year, those who employed one or more workers must register with Socso to provide insurance coverage, regardless of the limits of the salary paid to the worker.

Socso contributions are aimed at protecting employees in the event of untoward incidents or accidents while performing their duties, he added.