Man in toilet injured by explosion triggered by lighter

cigar

KUANTAN: A man sustained facial injuries in a minor explosion, believed to have been triggered after lighting a cigarette in a hotel toilet in Genting Highlands today.

Initial checks revealed the 11am explosion could have been caused by a gaseous reaction involving the septic tank and cigarette lighter.

The unidentified victim, in his 40s, was warded at the Selayang Hospital where his condition was described as stable.

Genting Highlands Fire and Rescue Department chief Senior Supt Yusri Abdullah Sani said a team of firemen found the injured victim in the toilet with injuries on the face.

He said the impact of the explosion damaged the nearby walls, ceiling and area located within a five-metre radius of the toilet.

“Initial investigations revealed the toilet was used by the hotel’s staff and was located at the base of the hotel. However, at that time it was not being used due to maintenance work.

“We have not ruled out the possibility the explosion was caused by the reaction of the gas from the septic tank with the flame from the cigarette lighter,” he added.

Meanwhile, in IPOH, an elderly married couple sustained burns when a gas stove in a room at their house caught fire today.

The 71-year-old man and his 63-year-old wife sustained burns on the face, hands and feet in the 1pm incident which occurred in Kampung Datuk Ahmad Said Tambahan 3 here.

In a statement, Meru Raya Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Mohd Fauzi Hashim @ Nazri said the victims were warded at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hopital here.