KUALA LUMPUR: Jinjang Selatan Tambahan residents today urged police to investigate Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) officials over possible corruption.
Following the arrest of several DBKL officers, the residents believe that they are the same officials who had issued eviction notices to them, demanding the residents move out with the land meant for a project under a private developer.
“Recently, a few DBKL officers were investigated by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
“We urge the police and MACC to investigate whether those involved with the eviction of our residents are also involved in corruption because it (notices) came from the same party,” Ameer Khan Bargathalli, a representative for the residents, told reporters after lodging a police report at Sentul district police headquarters today.
Ameer claimed that the private developer does not seem to have a good track record, nor any financial credibility, based on checks that he had done.
“I conducted a search with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) and the result shows that the developer has not done anything prior to the current controversial project in Jinjang.
“It has no track record of developing any house or buildings. Not even a single chicken coop,” he said.
He also questioned the authenticity of offers made by the developer to build affordable homes for the residents in return.
“How can they build affordable homes for us when they do not have a track record in building anything? We are worried that they will bail on us once we agree to leave our houses,” Ameer said.
Meanwhile, Parti Sosialis Malaysia (PSM) central committee member, S Arutchelvan, who is also representing the residents, urged the police to investigate the developers as well as the residents associations who claimed to be representing them.
“I urged the police to also look into these so-called residents associations who claimed that they are representing the community.
“The two associations are Jinjang Selatan Tambahan Social Development Association and Jinjang Selatan Tambahan residents association,” Arutchelvan said.
The PSM leader said that the two associations had never consulted with the rest of the residents despite claiming to have done so.
One of the residents, Aminah Ali claimed that this is the second time they are being evicted from their homes and she is now worried that they will have no place to stay once they are evicted.
“We have been staying here for 50 years. Where can we go once they evict us?” she said.
Indrani Sinniah, 58, said that they were only given a month’s notice to leave their homes.
“They didn’t provide us any documents or agreements. They did not even come and meet us to discuss. Instead, they sent a lawyer to make the deal,” Indrani said.
More than 500 Jinjang Selatan Tambahan residents live in 107 houses located within a 69 hectare plot of land gazetted for redevelopment by DBKL, with the developer.
According to The Star, DBKL paid RM111 million for the land in 2013.
On March 15, residents of the houses in the area received eviction notices from DBKL warning them to leave the premises by April 14 or risk bearing the cost for the houses to be demolished.
According to Arutchelvan, the eviction notice was extended for another month and it is due May 18.
Last month, the residents group made an appeal to both Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak and the Yang di-Pertuan Agong on the eviction notices they received.
They have since made 320 police reports against the developers.