Ex-KL CID chief acquitted over alleged failure to declare earnings

Ku-Chin-Wah_sprm

KUALA LUMPUR: The Sessions Court here today acquitted former Kuala Lumpur Criminal Investigation Department (CID) head Ku Chin Wah of a charge of failing to declare earnings from a commission of nearly RM1 million four years ago.

“The defence has created a doubt in the prosecution’s case while the prosecution failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt,” judge Sohaini Alias told a packed courtroom.

She said the accused had declared his earnings as required under the law.

“The accused also revealed his source of income when the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission officers recorded his statement,” she said.

As such, Sohaini said Ku could not be accused of not wilfully complying with the legal requirement.

The judge also ordered the RM30,000 bail posted by a bailor be returned following the acquiital.

Ku, who is currently serving in Bukit Aman’s CID Secretariat, pleaded not guilty to the charge last year.

Outside the court, Ku posed with former and current policemen who were there to give him moral support.

However, he declined to speak to the media.

Deputy public prosecutor Budiman Lutfi Mohamed appeared for the government while Geethan Ram Vincent represented Ku.

Ku, 59, was charged with failing to comply with a notice under Section 49(1) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act.

He is said to have failed to declare how he obtained a “commission” of RM961,500 in a sworn statement he gave on Jan 8, 2014.

He allegedly committed the offence at the MACC headquarters, Block D6, Federal Government Administrative Centre, Putrajaya between Dec 23, 2013, and Jan 21, 2014.

He risked a maximum jail term of one year, or a RM1 million fine, or both, if found guilty.

On Dec 2 last year, Ku was ordered to enter his defence on the charge.