PETALING JAYA: Just months after a teenage girl made headlines by driving against traffic on the North-South Expressway, another driver has been reported doing the same near the Kulai rest stop on the northbound side of the highway.
A 90-second video clip, taken by a road user, shows the car, a Perodua Myvi, going against the flow of traffic.
PLUS Malaysia Bhd (PLUS) CEO Mohammad Fuad Khusairi confirmed the incident, which was said to have taken place at 8.15am today.
In a statement, Fuad said a PLUS Ronda team was sent to the scene after its traffic monitoring centre was notified of the situation.
However, by the time the team arrived, the Myvi had already left.
“We will continue to collaborate with other authorities such as the police, Road Transport and others in preventing such incidents from recurring,” he said.
Kulai district police chief Supt Razak Md Said said no police report had been made on the incident.
On March 14, 19-year-old Ng Pei Ven drove her Proton Gen.2 against traffic before the Sungai Dua northbound toll plaza near Butterworth, crashing into a total of nine vehicles.
One of the drivers, 26-year-old Mohamad Fandi Rosli, from Sungai Petani, died on the spot.
Ng was charged under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, also punishable under Section 15(1) of the same act, which carries a fine of up to RM5,000 or a jail term of up to two years.
On May 12, she was acquitted of the substance abuse charge after her urine test came back negative.
However, a separate charge of driving under the influence (DUI) under Section 44 (1)(a) of the Road Transport Act 1987 remains, with the court setting the case for mention on July 5.