PETALING JAYA: Authorities in Sabah have asked a Jordanian man and his Malaysian wife, who posted on Facebook antics of themselves begging for accommodation and food, to get out of the state.
Kota Kinabalu police chief ACP M Chandra was quoted by The Star Online today as saying that the 56-year-old man and 48-year-old woman were caught yesterday while going about their begging rounds.
“We received numerous complaints about this couple as they were a nuisance to the public.
“We bought them a one-way ticket to Kuala Lumpur after we caught up with them.
“From what people have told us, the couple would ask for food and accommodation after telling a sob story.”
He said the couple, who had been in Sabah for a month, agreed to leave the state after police saw the social media postings of their behaviour.
Chandra said although there was no proof they had committed any offence, they agreed to depart from Kota Kinabalu yesterday.
He said the couple, who used various ploys to gain people’s sympathy, had arrived in Sabah on May 13.
According to The Star, their Facebook posts showed them begging, with the woman seated on a wheelchair despite being able-bodied.
Their passports reportedly showed that they had travelled to many countries before this.