IGP coy on ‘further’ probe into 1MDB

khalid-abu-bakar-1mdb-agc-1KUALA LUMPUR: Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar has declined to disclose why the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) sent back the police’s investigation report on state-owned 1MDB.

Speaking at a press conference in Bukit Aman today, Khalid would only say that the case in still under investigation.

“So I’m not going to disclose (the information),” he replied when asked what the AGC wanted to be probed further.

When pressed further, Khalid said he would comment on the matter once the investigation is completed.

He however, did not provide a specific timeline, saying briefly that this would take place “as soon as we finish”.

Khalid on June 25 told reporters that the AGC has directed the police to investigate the 1MDB issue further, which they are now doing.

Just a week earlier, he had said the AGC has yet to respond to the investigation papers that the police had submitted.

In April, Khalid said the investigation was completed “some time ago”.

The police had formed an investigation team in April last year to scrutinise the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report on 1MDB.

1MDB had maintained that none of its funds had been misappropriated, contrary to the claims made by the US Department of Justice (DoJ).

The DoJ, in its filings of two civil forfeiture suits against assets allegedly bought with siphoned 1MDB funds, had charged that from 2009 through 2015, more than US$4.5 billion (RM19 billion) belonging to 1MDB had been diverted by high-level officials of the fund and their associates.