Activists stick invite on MACC’s wall after being denied entry

Teoh-Lee-Lan
Teoh Beng Hock’s sister Lee Lan and A Samad Said during the gathering outside the home ministry’s complex, where MACC is situated.

PUTRAJAYA: Representatives of the Teoh Beng Hock Trust for Democracy resorted to sticking an invitation to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to attend a forum, on the wall of the agency’s headquarters here after they were denied a meeting with its chief commissioner today.

The drama unfolded when the activists, including Teoh’s younger sister Teoh Lee Lan, the trust’s president A Samad Said and executive secretary Ng Yap Hwa refused to comply with MACC’s regulations for visitors to surrender their mobile phones when entering the building.

The trio tried to persuade the security personnel at the building for 20 minutes to allow them in but the officers stood their ground.

Ng then asked for a MACC representative to meet them outside instead, stressing that they needed to take a picture as proof that the anti-graft agency had received their letter.

To their dismay, the security personnel insisted that they enter the premise to hand over the invitation.

This irked Ng, who then expressed his annoyance by proceeding to paste the invitation on a wall.

He claimed that they were treated like “terrorists” and were subjected to strict screenings.

“We are only normal citizens who want to invite MACC to come for a forum on how to reform the commission,” Ng told reporters.

(From right) Teoh Beng Hock Trust for Democracy foundation secretary Faisal Mustaffa, president A Samad Said, Beng Hock's sister Lee Lan and executive secretary Ng Yap Hwa after pasting the invitation letter on MACC's wall. They had refused to enter MACC building when they were ordered to surrender their phones.
(From right) Teoh Beng Hock Trust for Democracy foundation secretary Faisal Mustaffa, president A Samad Said, Beng Hock’s sister Lee Lan and executive secretary Ng Yap Hwa after pasting the invitation letter on MACC’s wall. They had refused to enter the MACC building when they were ordered to surrender their phones.

Earlier, the group, along with 30 of Beng Hock’s supporters had gathered outside the home ministry, claiming that MACC was being selective when investigating its cases.

They criticised MACC’s handling of the deaths of Beng Hock and customs officer Ahmad Sarbani Mohamed, as well as how it dealt with investigations into the RM2.6 billion reported “donation” that was banked into the prime minister’s personal account.

Beng Hock, an assistant of DAP’s Selangor state executive councillor Ean Yong Hian Wah, was found dead on July 16, 2009, having fallen from a window of the MACC office in Shah Alam after having been taken there for questioning the night before.

Ahmad Sarbani, who was being investigated in relation to a money-laundering syndicate, was found dead on April 6, 2011, after having fallen from the MACC building in Kuala Lumpur.

The group also wanted MACC chief commissioner Dzulkifli Ahmad to explain what actions were taken against the officers who were implicated in the deaths of Beng Hock and Ahmad Sarbani.

In a statement on Tuesday, the trust had announced that it would hold a forum on reforming the commission at the Kuala Lumpur Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) on July 16, to mark Beng Hock’s eighth death anniversary.

The statement said the perpetrators had not been brought to justice after eight years, and the MACC officers who were said to be involved in the incident were given promotions.

The said it would invite MACC to participate in the forum.

The Court of Appeal had on September 2014 ruled that Beng Hock’s death was caused by “an unlawful act by a person or persons unknown”.

The three judges on the panel also ordered a further probe into his death, by including MACC officers who were last seen with him.

The Coroner’s Court and Shah Alam High Court had previously delivered an open verdict on the death, ruling that it was neither suicide nor homicide.

Ahmad Sarbani ‘s wife Maziah Manap and his son Shahril had filed a lawsuit against the federal government and MACC over his death, claiming that it was caused by serious injuries inflicted by the agency and its officers.

The Court of Appeal awarded RM213,000 in damages to his family on June 20, 2016.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2015/05/14/dap-demands-action-in-teoh-beng-hocks-murder-case/

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/opinion/2013/04/07/in-memory-of-ahmad-sarbani/