PUTRAJAYA: Electroral watchdog Bersih 2.0 today claimed there was a “backdoor” attempt by the Election Commission (EC) to move out voters from Kuala Kubu Baru to another constituency.
Its chairman Maria Chin Abdullah alleged that the EC had bypassed the parliament’s approval process on the redelineation exercises by moving out voters quietly.
“This is unconstitutional. They did this to Kuala Kubu Baru voters and said it was an ‘administrative error’ that they forget to put voters in the right constituency,” she claimed, adding that the EC had done it before they published the first redelineation notice in September last year.
She added that the electoral authority has taken powers into their own hands.
When asked what action they will take against the alleged backdoor attempt, Maria said that Bersih 2.0 will take the EC to court.
However, she did not disclose further details.
Earlier, Maria, her deputy Shahrul Aman Mohd Saari, advocacy officer Zoe Randhawa and outreach officer Chan Tsu Chong met Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Paul Low to submit a memorandum on electoral reforms.
Maria said the one hour meeting with Low went well.
“He said he will bring up our recommendations to the relevant departments and agencies,” she added.
Previously on May 16, Bersih 2.0 and other activists went to the EC office here, demanding a meeting with EC chairman Hashim Abdullah on seeking reforms in the electoral system to be implemented in the next general election (GE14).
However, they failed to meet Hashim that day.
The Selangor government had last October filed a legal challenge, seeking to nullify the EC’s notice of redelineation, claiming it violated the Federal Constitution in drawing new electoral boundaries.
On Dec 16 last year, the High Court allowed a stay on the local enquiries in Selangor pending their court challenge.
The Melaka High Court also granted a stay order for seven voters from Kota Melaka and Bukit Katil after they filed a challenge against the EC’s redelineation exercise.