Ex-MB Khir Toyo gives up on bid to get back mansion

Khir-ToyoPUTRAJAYA: In an unexpected turn of events, former Selangor menteri besar Dr Mohamad Khir Toyo and his wife Zahrah Kechik today withdrew their review application before the Federal Court over the forfeiture of their Balinese-style mansion.

M Athimulan, who represented the couple, informed the bench that his clients were pulling back their action after studying the affidavits filed by the government and the Federal Court judgment.

“Our clients’ instruction is to withdraw the reviews after studying affidavits by parties and judgement by the court, he told a five-man bench chaired by Chief Justice Raus Sharif.

Raus then struck out the review application filed last year.

Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud represented the government.

Khir and Zahrah filed a review application seeking clarification in regard to the High Court’s order to forfeit their two plots of land and a bungalow.

On Sept 29, 2015 the Federal Court affirmed Khir’s conviction and sentence of the lower court for using his position to obtain the land and the bungalow unit in Shah Alam.

The former Sungai Panjang assemblyman then began his 12-month jail term but was released six months earlier from prison on the promise of good behaviour.

He was found guilty for obtaining for himself and his wife, two plots of land and a bungalow in Shah Alam, from Ditamas Sdn Bhd through its director Shamsuddin Hayroni at an undervalued price of RM3.5 million.

The market value was said to be RM6.5 million.