KEPALA BATAS: Penang police do not rule out the possibility of transferring the personnel stationed at the Bayan Baru central lockup after three detainees were brought out to meet their family members and a friend on Sunday, with one of them managing to escape.
Penang police chief Chuah Ghee Lye said they would wait for the Bukit Aman Integrity and Standards Compliance Department and state police’s Management Department to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident before coming up with such measures.
As for immediate action, he said the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and supervision at the central lockup had been improved, and that state police would transfer its personnel soon if necessary.
“What we can do now is to ensure that those on duty, especially the person in charge, follow the SOPs as he (or she) must be responsible. After all, adhering to the SOPs will prevent misconduct.
“In the incident, the police personnel received instructions from their supervisor to bring the three detainees, including the escapee, to a hospital after they complained of being sick.
“At this juncture, he (the person in charge) was probably involved in the entire plan,” he told reporters after attending the Seberang Perai Utara district police headquarters Aidilfitri open house here today.
Eight policemen, aged between 27 and 59, including the alleged mastermind behind the incident, have been remanded for four days since yesterday to assist in the probe.