PETALING JAYA: A Form One student has been arrested for allegedly poisoning his classmate by putting cockroach poison in his food.
“We have arrested a 13-year-old schoolboy and also seized a box of cockroach poison,” The Star quoted Sarawak Criminal Investigation Department chief SAC Dev Kumar as saying.
According to Dev, the alleged incident happened at a school in Sri Aman, Sarawak, on Thursday afternoon.
He said the victim, also aged 13, began vomiting after eating some food allegedly given to him by his classmate.
The victim was rushed to the Sri Aman Hospital by school staff members.
Dev said initial investigations revealed that the suspect brought a container of noodles and cockroach poison to school.
“The suspect allegedly mixed the cockroach poison with the noodles and gave it to the victim,” he said.
He added that the victim began vomiting a few minutes after consuming the food.
“A teacher, who was alerted of the sick student, rushed the victim to the hospital,” he said, adding that the boy was still being treated.
According to the police, the suspect panicked and ran away from school after the incident.
Dev said the victim’s father had lodged a police report at the Sri Aman police station.
He said police were still investigating the motive and had classified the case under Section 328 of the Penal Code for causing hurt by poisoning.