MRT: Najib just continuing what I started

mahathir-mrt

KUALA LUMPUR: There wouldn’t have been an MRT for Prime Minister Najib Razak to take credit for if it wasn’t for himself, Dr Mahathir Mohamad claimed today.

“He’s just continuing what I started.

“If I didn’t start it, he wouldn’t know what to do,” Mahathir told reporters when met at a Raya open house here today.

Najib has been praised for completing the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) rail line, with the Sungai Buloh-Kajang (SBK) line in operation last week.

At its launching on Monday, Najib was reported to have said he had been told that Malaysia’s MRT system was better than those in London, New York and Hong Kong, and on a par with that of Singapore.

In a report by The Star the same day, the prime minister added that Malaysia’s MRT system was “world-class”.

And on top of the SBK line, Najib had also extended the Kelana Jaya and Ampang LRT lines, which were built when Mahathir was the country’s prime minister.

Meanwhile, Mahathir, in response to Umno minister Salleh Said Keruak saying the former’s past shouldn’t be forgotten, said he himself had learned “a lot” from his past actions.

“At least during my time, we don’t have somebody stealing money.

“That’s what I’ve learned from the past.

“Don’t steal the government’s money and don’t use bribes to gain support,” the 92-year-old, who is now Pakatan Harapan chairman, added.