98 polytechnic students down with food poisoning in Kulim

politeknik

KULIM: Ninety-eight students of the Tuanku Sultanah Bahiyah Polytechnic were rushed to hospital today after suffering from food poisoning following an Aidilfitri lunch yesterday, says Kedah director of health Dr Norhizan Ismail.

He said the students were taken to hospital about 9am.

“An investigation by the Kulim district health office revealed that the students started developing symptoms of food poisoning between 7.30pm on July 24 and 7am today,” he said in a statement.

They had eaten nasi minyak, ayam masak merah and dalca at the Aidilfitri lunch, he added.

Norhizan said it was learnt that the food was prepared by a caterer and was packed as early as 8am yesterday by the students themselves.

Sixty-eight of the students were treated at the Kulim Hospital and the rest at the Kulim health clinic, he said.

The Kulim district health office will trace the caterer and individuals involved in preparing the food for possible action.