Police: No notice on PPBM-Umno Youth ‘gathering’

polis-ppbm-umno

PETALING JAYA: Police say they did not receive any notice about the “gathering” between PPBM and Umno Youth members at the Putra World Trade Centre (PWTC) today, which resulted in a scuffle.

In a statement today, Dang Wangi police chief Sukri Kaman, said no notice was given, as required under the Peaceful Assembly Act (PAA).

“We are still investigating this incident.”

He did not specify under which section they were probing the case.

Earlier today, PPBM Youth information chief Ashraf Mustaqim led a group of 30 PPBM Youth members to the Umno headquarters to hand over a “special invitation” to party president Najib Razak for the “Nothing To Hide 2.0” forum to be held next month.

However, the opposition party members were stopped by a group of Umno Youth members before they could move to PWTC from the Sunway Putra Mall, where Ashraf and his team were having lunch.

PPBM members claimed they were punched and kicked, but Umno Youth members denied the allegation.

Sukri said police brought the situation under control in 15 minutes and by 3.30pm everyone had dispersed.

Ashraf has since lodged a police report over the incident, claiming he was assaulted.

Umno Youth exco member Armand Azhar however has denied Ashraf’s allegation, saying it was “merely pushing and shoving” that took place.

Last week, PPBM chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad invited Najib to the “Nothing to Hide 2.0” forum, saying it would give the prime minister an opportunity to clear his name on many allegations, including the RM2.6 billion donation.

The event is named after a forum held on June 5, 2015, at the Umno headquarters, which was cancelled by police for security reasons after Mahathir showed up.

‘Hooligans, wussies’: PPBM and Umno trade barbs after scuffle