SUBANG JAYA: The National Union of Flight Attendants Malaysia (Nufam) today questioned the delay by the human resources ministry to refer the cases of 3,500 Malaysia Airlines (MAS) workers who were laid-off, to the Industrial Court.
Nufam president Ismail Nasaruddin said the former MAS workers had filed their cases with the ministry over two years ago but there had been no progress.
“Some might think the matter has already been resolved with the airline.
“The minister has not even referred the case.
“We demand that the ministry speed up the referral process of these 3,500 cases as they have been waiting for far too long,” he said at a press conference here today.
On June 15, MAS announced it was laying off 6,000 of its workers as part of a restructuring programme. Out of that number, 3,500 came under the union.
Ismail said Nufam had already approached the ministry but there had been no response. The most recent correspondence was on Sept 6, when Nufam sent a letter to the deputy minister and secretary-general.
“So what is the status of these cases? This is justice delayed and denying workers their rights. This is why we are not happy,” he said.
Ismail said he was worried that the complete takeover process of MAS by Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB), expected next year, would result in those who were laid-off, not receiving any compensation.
In another development, Ismail took MAS to task for firing on Sept 14 five cabin crew members, who are over 50 years old, for being overweight.
He said it was unfair to compel them to lose weight, even though they had been given 18 months to do so.
“We will take this matter to court and we urge Richard Riot (human resources minister) and Liow Tiong Lai (transport minister) to intervene,” he added.