PETALING JAYA: The joint investigative team looking into the 2014 downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 have issued an appeal today for information on a photograph believed to show the missile which shot down the plane over eastern Ukraine.
According to a AP report, the photo shows what looks like a missile on a mobile launcher, partially covered in camouflage netting.
A black van with its sliding door open partially obscures the vehicle, while the rear of a car can be seen on the right side of the photo.
The report said investigators believe the photo may have been taken in the town of Makeevka, Ukraine, on July 17, 2014 – the day MH17 was shot down.
It quoted Elsbeth Kleibeuker, a spokeswoman for the Dutch National Prosecution Office, as saying that the picture had been uploaded to a website which allows members of the public to anonymously post evidence.
“We believe this is the BUK that downed flight MH17,” she was reported as saying.
The team, which is known by its acronym JIT, urged anyone with information on the photo, its location or the vehicles in it to come forward.
It is not known when the investigation will be completed, the report added.
Flight MH17 was shot down over Donetsk in eastern Ukraine en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.
All 298 passengers and crew members on board were killed.
Authorities concluded the plane was shot down by a Russian-made ground-to-air rocket but have yet to formally identify suspects. Moscow meanwhile denies that any of its rockets could have been used.
On Sept 22, Malaysia, Ukraine, Australia, Belgium and the Netherlands signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on political support to prosecute the perpetrators of the downing.
“Agreeing to prosecute the perpetrators of the downing of flight MH17 in the Netherlands, the JIT countries confirmed that they will assist one another should any of them face any kind of external pressure to undermine the prosecution or the cooperation among them,” Wisma Putra said.