Nazri: No precedent for Guan Eng to resign over landslide

nazri-guan-eng-1

SHAH ALAM: Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Aziz says there is no precedent for Penang chief minister Lim Guan Eng to resign over the Tanjung Bungah landslide last Saturday, although there are calls that he should.

“There was a landslide in Bukit Antarabangsa. I didn’t see Dr Mahathir Mohamad or Anwar Ibrahim resign.

“Rules must be applied to all, not selectively. Everybody lives in a glass house, so don’t throw stones.”

Nazri was apparently referring to the Highland Towers incident on Dec 11, 1993, when one of three condominium blocks collapsed, killing 48 people.

Nazri was speaking to reporters after a working visit to the Les’ Copaque Production Sdn Bhd (LCP) production house here today.

The minister was there on a working visit to gain a firsthand look at how the popular Upin & Ipin animated TV series was produced.

The Penang landslide, which occurred at a condominium housing project site in Tanjung Bungah on Saturday resulted in 11 deaths, mostly foreign workers.

The incident sparked calls by Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Noh Omar for Guan Eng to resign.

Star Online reported Noh as challenging DAP’s Lim Kit Siang to advise his son, Guan Eng, to resign over the tragedy.

He had said such a response was apt as Kit Siang had blamed him for a fire that razed a religious school in Kuala Lumpur last month.

The Penang government has since announced the setting-up of a state commission of inquiry (SCI) on the landslide.

The SCI will determine what caused the hillslope at the temporary worksite to collapse and to ascertain if the landslide was a worksite accident, among others.