Lawyers: Shafee never unequivocally denied RM9.5 million payment

surendran-latheefa-shafee-1

PETALING JAYA: The lawyers of former opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim today challenged claims made by Shafee Abdullah over the alleged payment of RM9.5 million in relation to the Sodomy 2 case.

This followed the High Court’s decision on Wednesday to strike out Anwar’s suit against the government over allegations that Shafee had received the money in two tranches from Prime Minister Najib Razak.

N Surendran and Latheefa Koya said after the suit was dismissed, Shafee told the media that he had denied the payment in his affidavit filed in the case.

However, they added that his claim was without basis as nowhere in the document had he unequivocally deny the payment.

“A simple perusal of the affidavit, which is a public document, will demonstrate this,” they said in a joint statement.

They also disputed Shafee’s claim that he had wanted to comment on the allegation against him earlier, but could not do so as the suit had been filed and was pending in court.

They said Shafee had “ample opportunity” to reply to the allegation before the suit was filed.

“Sarawak Report made the allegation on May 31, 2017. In the days following, the allegation was widely published and circulated.

“Anwar only filed his suit on June 9, 2017.

“Shafee’s belated comments simply leave us with more unanswered questions,” they said.

Anwar filed the suit against the government after the Sarawak Report published documents purportedly showing two transaction slips dated Sept 11, 2013 and Feb 17, 2014, to back claims that Shafee had received RM9.5 million from Najib’s private bank accounts.

He said the alleged payment to Shafee meant that he had been denied a fair trial.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2017/11/08/court-dismisses-anwars-suit-over-rm9-5-million-payout-to-shafee/