KOTA KINABALU: Parti Warisan Sabah vice-president Peter Anthony will comply with the notice issued against him by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) and present himself at the anti-graft agency’s office here tomorrow at 2.30pm
Anthony’s lawyer, Martin Tommy, said both he and his client were taken aback by the manner in which MACC chose to summon Anthony.
“My client has always been in Sabah. He was resting with his family in Keningau and Tenom (interior of Sabah) because of his medical condition.
“As we all know, Anthony has a back problem which forced him to be admitted to the hospital when he was remanded by MACC in October,” he said during a press conference here today.
Tommy said he was surprised to read about the 48-hour notice in the morning newspaper today because MACC already knew he is Anthony’s counsel and could have easily called him instead of issuing a statement in the media.
He said Anthony had instructed him to announce to the media and the people that his client never intended to breach any of the bail conditions imposed on him when he was released on bail by MACC in October last year.
Tommy said Anthony’s MACC bail will only expire on Jan 26, hence their surprise over the notice issued late last night.
Anthony, as well as Warisan president Shafie Apdal and Youth chief Mohd Azis Jamman, were remanded and released on bail in October last year in connection with alleged misappropriation of funds meant for rural projects in Sabah worth RM1.5 billion.
“Whether it is a notice for a different case or not is irrelevant because the point is, they could have contacted us or notified us. My client is not missing.
“MACC even saw him not long ago when he presented himself there and that was the last time I heard from MACC,” he said.
The MACC notice requested that Anthony and another individual, Michael Persius Ubu, 61, surrender to its office in Sabah within 48 hours to facilitate investigation into the purchase of an oil palm plantation, worth about RM155 million, in the Tongod district in Sabah.
Warisan vice-president Junz Wong said as far as he knew, MACC had in fact been looking for Ubu for quite some time and even issued notices in newspapers in its attempt to track the lawyer.
Nevertheless, Wong said it was unfair for MACC to include Anthony in the latest statement and insinuating that both men were missing.
“It paints a bad image of Anthony. Even if it is a different case, MACC knows Anthony is around and not missing at all.
“If they wanted to issue the notification for Ubu alone, then that is fine but don’t put both men together. What are they trying to say here?”
As for Ubu, Wong said the individual is not related to Warisan and in fact, the man had been missing for months or even years.