KUALA LUMPUR: A father and son duo claimed trial at the High Court here to a charge of hiding information from the authorities on the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group and an attempted attack at the closing ceremony of the SEA Games last year.
Labourer Ahmad Omar, 53, and his son Jaffar Ahmad, 27, were accused under Section 130M of the Penal Code with intentionally omitting information on terrorist activities.
They face a maximum of seven years in jail if found guilty.
Justice Azman Abdullah postponed the case to March 21 to enable the duo to get a lawyer.
He also told deputy public prosecutor Noor Syazwani Mohamad Sobry to have their Section 130M charge amended as the contents were vague.
“It was stated that both of them failed to provide information but you did not specify what kind of information,” Azman said.
Ahmad and Jaffar were charged last year at the Kajang Sessions Court with two other men over their alleged involvement with Abu Sayyaf. The case was then transferred to the High Court.
Filipino national Abdul Syamir Dabilin was also charged under Section 130M with Ahmad and Jaffar at the Kajang court. The fourth man, Hajar Abdul Mubin, was accused of being an Abu Sayyaf member and the main organiser of the attack. The cases of Syamir and Hajar have yet to come up for hearing at the High Court.
Police said last year they had foiled an attempt by terrorist groups to launch an attack at the closing ceremony of the SEA Games and National Day celebration at Dataran Merdeka.
Inspector-General of Police Mohamad Fuzi Harun said the potential terror attack was thwarted with the arrest of 19 men – eight locals and 11 foreigners – in an operation between July 4 and Aug 30.