PH to take RoS to court over registration delay

mahathir-pc-ph-1

PETALING JAYA: Pakatan Harapan (PH) said it would take the Registrar of Societies (RoS) to court this Thursday, close to seven months after the coalition applied to become a legal entity.

PH chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad said the legal action would compel RoS to respond on the status of its application submitted on July 24 last year.

“We still have not received any response from RoS. When we ask them, they do not answer at all.

“We cannot say they have rejected, because they have not, but again we cannot use anything (logo) because we do not have any approval,” he said at a press conference at the PPBM office today..

The four-party coalition, made up of PKR, DAP, PPBM and Amanah, intends to contest the next general election under a common logo.

RoS had stated PPBM’s failure to hold its first annual general meeting, as well as DAP’s problem over its central executive committee (CEC), as reasons for the delay.

PPBM has since held its annual general assembly, while RoS has also recognised DAP’s top leadership line-up.

Mahathir today said RoS has failed as a government agency.

“Intentionally or not, by not replying to our application, RoS is actually helping Barisan Nasional to win the election. It’s wrong for a government department to be one-sided in carrying out its duties.”

Mahathir also questioned the latest list of early voters, saying there has been a huge increase in the number of postal voters.

“If this list is introduced, we find that many of them will probably vote BN. We know in GE13 there were more than 400,000 registered as early voters. This had a huge negative impact towards the opposition. Now the list is almost 1,000,000 voters.”