PUTRAJAYA: The Kuala Lumpur High Court has fixed March 1 to hear Pakatan Harapan’s leave application for judicial review over the Registrar of Societies’ (RoS) refusal to register the opposition coalition.
Lawyer Michelle Ng said the hearing date was made available yesterday, a day after the application was filed.
“We had also filed a certificate of urgency for the court to give us an early hearing date,” Ng told reporters.
She said the sealed copies of court papers had been served earlier today on the Attorney-General’s Chambers who would likely represent the RoS.
PH legal bureau head Gobind Singh Deo had previously said the action was filed as the RoS had refused to reply to correspondence from the coalition.
“It is our contention that the RoS ought to reply or respond to our filed application but there has been no response until now.
“We take the view that RoS, as a creature of statute, is duty-bound to consider applications of this nature, just like any application from political parties for their registration,” he had said.
The action was filed jointly by PH chief secretary Saifuddin Abdullah, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, PKR secretary-general Saifuddin Nasution, Amanah deputy secretary-general Abang Ahmad Kerdee Abang Masagus and PPBM secretary-general Shahruddin Salleh.
The formation of PH was announced last year. It comprises PKR, DAP, Amanah and PPBM. The parties are planning to contest the next general election (GE14) under a common banner.
Last month, the coalition named former prime minister and PPBM chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad as its prime minister candidate should they win federal power in GE14.