PETALING JAYA: PLUS Malaysia Bhd has opened a new dual carriageway at the site of the former Sungai Rasau toll plaza along the Federal Highway as the structure’s demolition nears completion.
It said the final phase involving tearing down the structure’s side sections was underway.
“With the opening of both new alignments at Batu Tiga and Sungai Rasau, highway users can now enjoy a smoother and uninterrupted journey,” the company said.
Two persons were killed when their car rammed a pillar at the Batu Tiga toll plaza, just two weeks after toll collection was ceased on Jan 1 this year.
The accident led to calls on PLUS to speed up demolition works of the toll plazas built 24 years ago.
Demolition works started on Feb 20 and are expected to be completed by end of this month.
Prime Minister Najib Razak had announced last year that there would be no more toll charges at the Sungai Rasau and Batu Tiga toll plazas.