PETALING JAYA: Current actions by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Agency (MACC) in investigating the Ijok land deal “are victimising the very persons who helped facilitate this global resolution”, it has been alleged.
“The MACC should focus on those responsible for the abuses that took place from 1998 onwards when the land, taken back from the settlers, was given out to private companies by Selangor Umno and BN leaders,” three Pakatan Rakyat representatives said today in a joint statement.
The statement was issued by PKR’s Subang MP Sivarasa Rasiah, Amanah’s Shah Alam MP Khalid Samad and former Kuala Selangor MP and Amanah strategy director Dzulkefly Ahmad.
MACC had recently arrested six people, two of them Datuks, to assist in its probe into the controversial RM1.18 billion Ijok land deal involving the PKR-led Selangor government.
The statement said BN strategic communications unit deputy director Eric See-To continued to turn the Selangor state success story into a so-called “scandal”.
It said the success story was clear. The Selangor government in 2016 had “remedied a massive injustice inflicted by the previous BN government” on 1,000 Ijok settlers when promises of compensation and homes were not kept.
“The success story is capped by the fact that the current Selangor government also recovered 1,000 acres of public land, given away by the old BN government to its cronies in 1998.
“See-To continues to raise false questions which show he refuses to acknowledge the actual facts of what took place.
“This is shown clearly in his statement, dated March 23, when he falsely asks ‘why didn’t the Selangor government sell this land in an open tender and receive market prices?’
“The question shows how his entire position is based on a false assumption which is repeated in BN’s propaganda.
“The fact of the matter is that the land that was sold for RM 1.18 billion was not Selangor government land but was private land. His question is a false question.
“See-To has forgotten that it was the previous BN government that had taken back the land from the settlers in 1998 in return for empty promises of cash and houses and given it to its cronies. It has remained private land since then.”
The land that was sold for RM1.18 billion was the land known as Alam Mutiara and Alam Utama, covering 2,200 acres (890ha).
“Neither the settlers or the Selangor government had anything to do with the negotiated price, which was a private arms-length sale between a willing buyer and a willing seller.
“However, the role of the Selangor government, when granting consent to the sale, was to impose conditions to resolve in one global settlement the predicament of the 1,000 settlers and also the 30-over legal suits pending in court over this Alam Mutiara/Alam Utama land and another piece of land covering 1,000 acres (Alam Perdana).
“Alam Perdana had been acquired by the state government but the acquisition was still being challenged by the landowners at the Federal Court.”
The statement said the sale proceeds were to be used to pay the compensation owed to the settlers and also to cover all costs of building their homes.
“The landowners would also have to settle all the outstanding claims to banks and many other creditors and clear all the charges and caveats on the Alam Mutiara and Alam Utama lands and also the Alam Perdana land, which had been acquired by the government.
“The substantial claims for further compensation to the landowners from the government for the 1,000-acre Alam Perdana acquisition were to be withdrawn.”
The statement said by doing this, the current Selangor state government succeeded in “rectifying the injustice caused by the previous BN government to the 1,000 settlers”.
“It also succeeded in getting back 1,000 acres of the Alam Perdana land given away by the BN government in 1998 without having to pay any additional compensation.”
The statement said See-To’s questions about the deal reached were false and irrelevant.
“The specific payments made by the landowners from the sale proceeds to their creditor banks and their many other creditors are their private commercial arrangements. The settlers and the state government have no role in that.
“The settlers today, 20 years after the broken promises made to them in 1998, have received their full compensation and will receive the keys to their homes by the end of next year.
“Similar homes to theirs are already being transacted today for about RM500,000.”
The statement wished Umno and BN had shown such sympathy to the settlers in 1998-2000 instead of taking away their land and allegedly not giving the compensation and houses promised.