KUALA LUMPUR: At least six new housing development projects would be affected by the approved incinerator project located in Taman Beringin, in Kepong here.
They are Perumahan Penjawat Awam 1Malaysia (PPA1M), Eco Sky (Taman Wahyu by Eco World), JL 99, Mizumi Residences Kepong, Lakeville Residences (Taman Wahyu by Mah Sing) and The Henge Residence.
Kuala Lumpur (KL) Tak Nak Insinerator (KTI) activist group president Lee Chong Tek said on top of 30 residential areas that have been protesting the incinerator project, these are new developments that are bound to be affected by the project should the contractor agreement be finalised.
“We have been protesting since 2013 and all of a sudden now we found out from Serdang MP Ong Kian Ming that the government is at the ‘Best and Final Offer’ (BaFO) stage of deciding which company they would award the tender for the project.
“We wrote to the Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government Minister Noh Omar twice, once in Feb 22 and another on March 11, but received no reply.
“Imagine the health risks that the new residences will face if they bulldoze the project through. Most of these new housing development projects are completed or near completion,” Lee said at a press conference today held at Taman Residensi.
Lee said should the government continue to ignore their protests against the incinerator, the residents, led by KTI and DAP candidate for the Kepong parliamentary seat Lim Lip Eng will take legal action against relevant stakeholders in the project.
“The government needs to look at this matter seriously. It is no longer a proposal, but an approved project at a level where they are finalising which company they would award the tender to.
“We are talking about 6,000 new families who will become residents of Kepong and will be living in the vicinity of where the incinerator will be located.
“Take this number and multiply by say three or four per family, you do the math.
“We will take this matter up and I will ensure that this will become part of the opposition coalition’s pledge this coming general election,” Lim said.
He added that last year, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) launched the 3R initiative, making it compulsory for residences to “reduce, reuse and recycle”.
“However, this initiative was recently declared a failure by DBKL themselves. They are taking back the waste separation bins.
“But the problem has always been a lack of proper implementation. If only they took this seriously, we would not need to even talk about incinerators,” he said.
Ong, who was also present at the press conference, said he had been raising this issue on behalf of the residents since 2013 and it was through his question in the recent sitting of the Dewan Rakyat that the BaFO was made known.
“The minister concerned has not even met the people to hear out their concerns. The previous minister (Abdul Rahman Dahlan) did but not Nor Omar.
“Terms and conditions of the agreement have not been revealed, what kind of safety measurements and compensation they would take and offer in case of accidents involving this incinerator.
“And the total cost of the project and its impact on taxpayers. All these need to be clarified before they even award the project to anyone,” Ong said.
The KTI committee had also previously visited the incinerators in Cameron Highlands and Pangkor Island and claimed that they found these incinerators were not well-maintained.
Apart from the approved incinerator in Taman Beringin, there are other large-scale incinerators with a similar capacity of 1,000 tonnes of waste per day being proposed in Bukit Payung, in Johor, and Sungai Udang, Melaka.