GE14 will be my last, says Pahang MB

Pahang MB Adnan Yaakob does not plan to contest in any more general elections after the upcoming polls.

KUANTAN: Pahang Menteri Besar Adnan Yaakob, who has gone through seven general elections, says the May 9 polls will be his last.

The veteran Umno leader said he would defend the Pelangai state seat which he has held since 1986.

“I have served as menteri besar and state assemblyman for a long time. I previously expressed my desire to bow out, but could not due to certain reasons which I won’t say.

“This is going to be the last for me,” he told reporters here yesterday.

Adnan was appointed as Pahang menteri besar on May 25, 1999, replacing Mohd Khalil Yaakob.

On the selection of Barisan Nasional (BN) candidates for GE14 in Pahang, he said 32 were incumbents and 16 were new faces.

Three state constituency incumbents have been dropped for GE14: Ahmad Shukri Ismail (Pulau Tawar), Maznah Mazlan (Muadzam Shah) and Lau Lee (Damak).

Adnan said the three were among his best friends in politics and had represented their constituencies well.

“All of them have such a big heart, never once did they exhibit any resentment when they received the news that they had not been chosen as candidates. In fact, they even joined us here in a show of support.

“It really saddens me, knowing the sacrifices they made and their willingness to accept the situation. We won’t forget all three of you, and please don’t lose hope,” he said.

Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season