PKR maintains Indians angered by barring of Streram in Rantau seat

Rafizi claims the ‘short-term gain’ by BN in having Negeri Sembilan MB Mohamad Hasan win the seat uncontested has caused anger towards the ruling coalition.

KUALA LUMPUR: Rafizi Ramli insists that the Election Commission’s (EC) move to bar PKR’s Dr Streram Sinnasamy from contesting the 14th general election (GE14) will anger many voters in Rantau, especially the Indians.

The PKR vice-president said Streram, an aspirant for the Rantau state seat in Negeri Sembilan, had been going to the ground and helping the people for the past two years.

“He has served the constituents in Rantau, which has among the highest Indian voters in the country,” Rafizi said at a press conference at the Invoke office here today.

He claimed the “short-term gain” by Barisan Nasional (BN) in having Negeri Sembilan Menteri Besar Mohamad Hasan win the seat uncontested had caused anger towards the ruling coalition.

Rafizi also alleged that there was a “story” behind the incident on Saturday as certain quarters wanted to stop Streram from contesting there.

“But what they don’t understand is that by barring him from contesting, it will trigger emotions, especially those of the Indians,” he said.

Streram had been disallowed entry into the nomination centre at the Seri Rembau Hall as he did not have a candidate’s pass issued by EC.

Rantau is a state seat under the Rembau parliamentary constituency which has been held by Umno Youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin since 2008.

Mohamad won Rantau in the last general election in 2013 against PKR’s Aisah Lamsah.

On Saturday, Khairy lodged a police report against Rafizi over his remarks on social media regarding BN’s walkover win in Rantau.

He also threatened to sue Rafizi for implicating him and Mohamad in the move to bar Streram.

Bersih slams ‘disgraceful’ nomination process

Our man able to beat Mohamad Hasan in Rantau, says PKR’s Rafizi

Khairy to sue Rafizi over comments on Rantau