SIK: Mukhriz Mahathir has warned senior government officers to carry out their duties with integrity, saying a series of actions by the Election Commission (EC) against Pakatan Harapan (PH) campaign billboards showed that many senior civil servants were abusing their powers to favour Barisan Nasional (BN).
The PPBM deputy president said such actions would not go unpunished if PH comes to power.
“If we win Putrajaya, we will remember all these department heads who have caused much confusion. We remember. Don’t forget, because you violated your own departmental rules, we will take action,” he said in a ceramah in Batu 5 here, last night.
“We will remember, and we will take action if we win Putrajaya,” the former Kedah menteri besar added.
He referred to the action by the EC in Johor to tear down a billboard featuring PH chairman Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Ayer Hitam candidate Liew Chin Tong.
The EC said the billboard violated a new guideline issued by the commission, which specifies which party leaders are allowed to appear alongside candidates in election posters.
But Mukhriz said billboards showing MCA president Liow Tiong Lai with Chinese leader Xi Jinping had been left untouched.
“Is Xi contesting in the general election? No. So what is BN’s excuse for allowing such a big billboard? And not just with a person who has nothing to do with the election, but who is the leader of China.
“Mahathir was once our prime minister for 22 years. Xi is not Malaysian and is not relevant to the scenario,” said Mukhriz.
The Jerlun candidate also criticised the EC’s move to stop the candidacy of PKR vice-president Tian Chua and anaesthesiologist Dr S Streram in the Batu parliamentary seat and Rantau state seat respectively.
“Streram came to the nomination centre but he was not allowed to go in. Why? Because he did not have a pass.
“Why are they so afraid? It’s the Negeri Sembilan menteri besar’s seat,” he said, referring to Mohamad Hasan, who won the seat without contest.
“Don’t tell me he is so threatened by a PKR candidate.”
Mukhriz also cited the cases of PPBM candidates Yaacob Osman and Pizi Jihat, who were disqualified from contesting in Penaga, Penang, and Bukit Pasir, Johor, on grounds that they were bankrupts.
“This happened on nomination day. One day earlier, he (Yaacob) was not bankrupt. We have the paperwork to show it. On April 27, he was not bankrupt, but the next day he became a bankrupt.
“This is so strange. The duo’s nominations were rejected just like that. BN is already feeling threatened by the charge of the rakyat who want change, so they are finding ways to stop this, and to stop PH from forming the government.”
Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season.