BAGAN DATUK: Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi today hit out against Dr Mahathir Mohamad and Muhyiddin Yassin for continuing to make baseless allegations against the Barisan Nasional.
Zahid, who is also home minister, said PPBM chairman Dr Mahathir was being irresponsible by continuing to hurl accusations of being sabotaged and being prevented from contesting the general election.
He said Dr Mahathir had used similar tactics to garner the people’s sympathy when he was the prime minister.
“We have been fooled by his tactics before, and he is using similar tactics now but with a different approach,” he said to reporters after attending an Armed Forces social event in Kampung Sungai Sumun near Hutan Melintang.
Zahid hoped that the people would not be fooled by Dr Mahathir.
Dr Mahathir’s latest allegation was of having been sabotaged by Customs and Immigration officers at Subang on arrival from Terengganu. He alleged that his bags were searched even though he was on a domestic flight.
Last week he claimed that a private aircraft he was to have boarded at Subang for Langkawi had been sabotaged to prevent him getting to Langkawi in time for registering as an election candidate.
Zahid urged Muhyiddin, who is president of PPBM, to concentrate on the election campaign in Pagoh and Gambir instead of alleging that the BN would do anything at all to prevent the people from going to the polls on May 9.
Muhyiddin had said that the BN would even resort to felling trees to block roads and offer money to voters to vote for BN candidates.
“It does not make sense. He (Muhyiddin) was in my position (as the deputy prime minister). He should not make such accusations once he is no longer in the government,” he said.
Click here to get live updates throughout the GE14 season