PETALING JAYA: Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle-Brown today predicted that Barisan Nasional (BN) would likely lose Sarawak in the next state election, saying the people now knew that change was possible.
When asked if she believed Sarawak governor Taib Mahmud would be brought to book since he is said to be good friends with Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Rewcastle-Brown who was speaking in an interview with BFM said she was confident the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government would do the right thing.
“This is going to be one of the new tests of the federal government,” she said.
“People are aware of the upsurge of Sarawak voices asking ‘What about us? Is the revolution going to reach us?’
“I’m pretty sure there will be reports and complaints brought forward on corruption that the previous administration tried to keep on the shelf and the new administration will dust off.”
Although she remained tight-lipped on her current projects, Rewcastle-Brown said more stories would unfold, adding that she was currently focusing on Sarawak.
“It’s my duty and original purpose. I will be looking with interest at what’s going to be going on in Sarawak.”
However, she said she doubted she would be visiting the Borneo state during her current stay in Malaysia.
“Things have not necessarily changed in Sarawak. I’m not at all confident my name has been removed from their immigration list.”
Rewcastle-Brown arrived in Malaysia on Saturday after the new government threw out the arrest warrant against her.
Although a British citizen, Rewcastle-Brown was born in Sarawak and spent the early years of her life there. Malaysian authorities had issued a warrant for her arrest in 2015, citing activities “detrimental to parliamentary democracy”.
She returned to Malaysia after learning that her website had been unblocked and the warrant lifted by Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad’s government, which came to power in a surprise election victory on May 9.
Since taking office, Mahathir has reopened investigations into 1MDB and ousted leader Najib Razak’s alleged involvement in the scandal.
In 2014 and 2015, Sarawak Report published a series of articles with leaked documents and emails that detailed how money was allegedly siphoned off from 1MDB.
Rewcastle-Brown said she had not been invited to meet with the new administration, and hoped only to see friends she had not spoken with since being blocked from entering Malaysia, Reuters reported.
“It was a tough battle for all of us… the previous administration spent so much time and money trying to get me,” she was quoted as saying.
“But I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t have a deep down confidence that Malaysia could come through and this could have a good outcome.”
When asked to comment on the Employees Provident Fund’s denial of her most recent report that there was a concerted effort by those in authority to take out money from the fund, she said she stood by what she had reported.
“There are certainly things that happened there that I have cross-referenced with sources around the world and verified, so let’s find out,” she added.