MACC visits tourism and culture ministry to make ‘inquiries’

Tourism Malaysia director-general Mirza Mohammad Taiyab denies the MACC visit was a probe or raid and has refuted a former MP’s claims on a RM99 million directly-negotiated deal. (Bernama pic)

PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has visited the tourism and culture ministry over what is believed to be a contract signed between the ministry’s promotional agency Tourism Malaysia and a company.

Tourism Malaysia director-general Mirza Mohammad Taiyab said several MACC officers had gone to the ministry’s headquarters in Putrajaya to “inquire” yesterday following some media reports.

He however said it was not a probe or raid.

“I can’t reveal much… They will tell you (media) when the time is right,” he told FMT.

He was asked to confirm a tip-off that the ministry was already under a probe by the anti-graft agency.

On June 1, former Wangsa Maju MP Wee Choo Keong had called on the authorities to look into a promotional contract between Tourism Malaysia and a local company, claiming it had been given under “dubious” circumstances.

Wee, a former Tourism Malaysia chairman, labelled the arrangement a “Speedy Gonzales contract”.

He had claimed that a meeting on the RM99 million directly-negotiated deal, as well as the approval and signing of the agreement, had taken place within a single day.

Mirza had refuted Wee’s allegations and said a detailed statement on the matter will be issued soon.

Speaking to FMT, however, Wee said he had evidence of his claims, some of which had been uploaded on his blog, and that he would be lodging a report with MACC.

Wee cries foul over RM99 million Tourism Malaysia contract