No, Najib didn’t pay me to close the case, says Altantuya’s dad

Altantuya Shaariibuu’s father, Setev Shaariibuu, says he has been waiting for justice for 12 years.

KUALA LUMPUR: The father of Mongolian model Altantuya Shaariibuu today denied receiving funds from any member of Barisan Nasional (BN), including former prime minister Najib Razak, to close the case on his daughter’s murder.

“I’ve heard these kinds of rumours that Najib already paid money to me, but it’s not true,” Setev Shaariibuu said at a press conference in Kuala Lumpur today.

When asked if there had been attempts by Najib’s camp to give him money, he said: “There was someone who wanted to be a hero and talk about it, but he is a nobody.”

Shaariibuu and his grandchildren are suing the government for compensation over the death of Altantuya.

His lawyer Ramkarpal Singh said they were looking into convening a Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) to probe the case in detail.

He said this would be one of the issues brought up during their meeting with Attorney-General (AG) Tommy Thomas at 3pm.

“We will discuss the possibility of a RCI with the AG,” he said, adding that the main aim would be to know who ordered Altantuya’s death.

Shaariibuu will also request that the AG reopen the case.

He said it was not enough to know who pulled the trigger on the Mongolian interpreter, adding that they must know “why the trigger was pulled.”

Ramkarpal had earlier confirmed that Prime Minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad would be meeting Shaariibuu in Putrajaya tomorrow.

He said he would also bring up possibility of convening a RCI with Mahathir. He said this was because a RCI could only be set up after the prime minister advises the king to convene it.

“At this juncture, we would like to appreciate how far the father has come in his quest for justice,” Ramkarpal added.

Altantuya, 28, was killed between Oct 19 and 20, 2006 by Azilah Hadri and Sirul Azhar Umar who were part of an elite police commando unit that provided bodyguards for Malaysia’s top leaders.

She was shot twice in the head before being wrapped in military-grade explosives and blown to pieces. The motive for the crime as well as the source of the order for her death remain unknown.

Her family is suing Azilah, Sirul, Abdul Razak Baginda and the government of Malaysia for RM100 million in damages and compensation.

Shaariibuu had said the suit, filed on June 6, 2007, had both basis and merit.

However, Ramkarpal said the civil case had been postponed as the criminal case which ended in 2015 was ongoing at the time.

After the criminal case, he said, they were supposed to resume the civil case but it was postponed again.

“The civil case will be mentioned at the Shah Alam court on Aug 13, 14 and 18.”

Shaariibuu said he had returned to Malaysia to seek justice for his daughter and find closure in the case.

“My family and I have persevered, endured deep anguish and unending grief for the grotesque, wanton murder of my eldest daughter for the last 12 years.

“Altantuya was the main breadwinner for her family of seven, including her two sons,” he said, adding that one of them was disabled and bedridden.

“I feel as though I have lost my right-hand man,” he said through his translator.

For the past 12 years, he said, he had not received justice.

“I am full of hope that the new government will do everything under its power to render justice and bring an end to the grief and suffering of my family,” he added.

He appealed to the federal government under Pakatan Harapan to reopen the case and administer justice so that his daughter could rest in peace.

Why was my daughter murdered, Altantuya’s father asks

Altantuya’s father to meet AG tomorrow