KUALA LUMPUR: Former prime minister Najib Razak and his wife Rosmah Mansor have dropped their lawsuit against PKR vice-president Rafizi Ramli over his 2015 statement on oil subsidies.
Lawyer Ranjit Singh, who represented Rafizi, said the couple had also agreed to pay Rafizi and MediaRakyat portal owner Chan Chee Keong RM20,000 in costs.
“The trial was supposed to start next week, but the suit has been withdrawn,” he said after meeting judicial commissioner Rohani Ismail in chambers today.
Ranjit added that the withdrawal was a form of vindication for Rafizi as he had been slapped with the suit which had never gone to trial.
This is the third lawsuit Najib has withdrawn following Barisan Nasional’s (BN) shock loss in the May 9 election.
He earlier withdrew lawsuits against former MCA president Dr Ling Liong Sik, Damansara MP Tony Pua and PAS-owned newspaper Harakah Daily.
However, a separate lawsuit against Pua over his statement on the tabling of the Syariah Courts (Criminal Jurisdiction) Act (RUU355) will proceed as the DAP lawmaker wants to question the injunction against him.
Najib and Rosmah sued Rafizi and Chan in 2015 for allegedly defaming them, saying the former Pandan MP’s statement implied that Najib had stolen the people’s money in connection with the removal of oil subsidies.
Rosmah also claimed Rafizi had suggested that she unlawfully benefited from the money.
They said Chan meanwhile had failed to exercise responsible journalism by verifying the claims before publishing the video.