Guan Eng: Bantuan Sara Hidup to be reviewed next year

Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng says it is not fair for those who are not qualified to get the living allowance assistance.

GEORGE TOWN: A review on the Bantuan Sara Hidup (BSH) will be carried out next year, Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng said today.

Lim said the review was to ensure that only those who are qualified get the financial assistance.

“It is not fair and not right for those who are not qualified to get the aid.

“Also, we want to ensure there is no wastage or leakages as BSH involves a lot of money,” he said today when asked for updates on the BSH.

The BSH is a continuation of the 1Malaysia People’s Aid (BR1M) introduced by the previous Barisan Nasional (BN) government.

Lim had previously announced that almost 4.1 million recipients will be receiving the BSH on Aug 15, involving an estimated RM1.6 billion with the payout to be made a week before Hari Raya Aidiladha.

On the Penang government’s plan to apply for a RM1 billion soft loan from Putrajaya to fund the Penang Transport Master Plan (PTMP) project, Lim said any state that wished to apply was welcomed to do so.

“However, this will not be done quickly. We will have to make the necessary assessments first. Not just the application for soft loan. We have to consider the overall financial situation,” he added.